I caught an episode of a reality cooking television show once, and the flaring tempers and highly stressful work environment forever tainted my perception of what Michelin-starred chefs are like – until I met Chef Tom Kerridge.
The British Celebrity Chef and owner of Two-Michelin starred Hand & Flowers restaurant and bar in the UK was recently at Capella Singapore as our Guest Chef to host a series of quintessentially British lunch and dinner events during the last week in May.
I was fortunate enough to meet him, and get the opportunity to observe the talented chef work behind the scenes and handle the media with grace and effervescence.
But what surprised me the most, was his effort to greet every single person that he came across, with a genuine concern and sincere smile. It wasn’t just the very important guests and upper management that he paid special attention to. I spotted Chef Tom having conversations with the service and housekeeping staff, always taking a moment to ask how they were when he walked down the corridor.
Not surprisingly, it was a joy to have Chef Tom Kerridge at Capella Singapore and he fit in perfectly! Before leaving I had to get a recipe for one of his most popular dishes, Beef Jelly with Raw Beef. (Don’t be fooled by the name— this is delicious!)
150g dried beef fillet raw
100g sliced beef fillet and corn flour for dusting
1 kohlrabi diced
1 bunch breakfast radish
1 Granny Smith apple diced
Kohlrabi cress to garnish
Salt & pepper
1 Trisol batter mix
500ml good beef stock
Sosa Vegi Gel x 10g
4 large Langoustine Tails, blanched and peeled
100ml white wine vinegar
1 tube wasabi
3 egg yolks
1 tbs white wine vinegar
Season with salt
1. Mix the beef dice and kohlrabi together and season with salt, pepper and tabasco.
2. Place into bowls. Bring the beef stock to the boil and add the vegi gel.
3. Leave to cool a little and pour onto the beef in the bowls.
4. Leave at room temperature.
5. Bring the vinegar and the sugar up to the boil and allow the sugar to dissolve.
6. When cool, add the apple to take on the pickle flavour.
7. Dust the sliced beef in corn flour and fry till crispy.
8. Season to taste.
9. Deep-fry the langoustine in the batter and serve on the jelly and garnish with the pickled apple, cress, radish and crispy beef.