If you are a food lover like me, I am certain you love spring. I love spring because nature is in bloom, the best surf season begins, and many of my favorite fruits and veggies are ready to be savored. It has become a spring tradition of mine, to visit our kitchens quite frequently, as I am trying to see (and taste) what our Chef is preparing for the seasonal spring menu in our restaurants at Capella Ixtapa.
This year, one of my favorite new dishes is this Red Fruit and Vanilla Salad, which we have on our spring menu of romantic dinners. I love it because in one dish it combines some of my favorite flavors, it is healthy, and beautiful, perfect to serve at spring garden parties and barbecues. I enjoy having it by the pool, savoring it slowly while looking out across the ocean. Chef Miguel recommends pairing it with a sparkling lemonade or glass of fresh white wine. I love this salad so much, that Chef Miguel sent me home with the recipe, and he was pleased that I wanted to share it with you as well. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Red Fruit And Vanilla Salad
– Sangria Lettuce
– Italian Chicory
– French Lettuce
– Romaine Lettuce
– Fresh Mozzarella cheese
– Caramelized walnuts
– Red fruit compote (see preparation below f or use your favorite from the store)
– Vanilla Vinaigrette (see preparation below or find it in a delicatessen stores)
– Clean and chop the lettuce in chunks.
– Cut the strawberries into fourths.
– Slice the Mozarella cheese.
– Chop the caramelized nuts.
– Inside a bowl, dress the lettuce with the Vanilla Vinaigrette, season with sea salt and pepper.
– Insert layers of the mix of lettuce and cheese slices.
– On top of the cheese place a bit of the compote and the red fruits.
– Sprinkle caramelized walnuts on top of the lettuce mix.
– Garnish with Red Fruit Compote and enjoy!
Red Fruit Compote: clean and chop a mix of your favorite berries, for example blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, simmer them in a pan with sugar as desired, vanilla pod and lemon juice, until you achieve a thick consistency. Let it cool down and reserve.
What are your favorite dishes to enjoy in Springtime? Share them with me in the comments below.