What does summer tastes like? When I posed this question to Capella Singapore’s Pastry Chef Sam, he didn’t have to pause to think twice.
“Ice cream profiteroles and summer are a match made in tropical paradise,” he shares.
This dough keeps well for three days in the freezer, so you can prep for a summer party in advance, or savour it slowly over a few days. “Dessert is a luxury that should be enjoyed on a daily basis – not just reserved for special occasions,” he adds. So get creative, and fill it with cream, ice cream or enjoy it on its own.
However, that is not the only reason Chef Sam is so fond of these little gems. They remind him of the cream puffs his favourite aunt used to make for him in his younger days. And they certainly take me back to my own carefree childhood as well.
The chef’s three tips for avid or aspiring home bakers: have patience, infuse a sense of warmth into your creations, and keep your flavours simple and well balanced.
And his tip for avid foodies such as me? Tuck in before it melts!
Summer Ice Cream Profiterole Recipe
Makes 20 servings
300g all-purpose flour
10g baking powder
Ice cream or sorbet of your choice
Fresh berries for garnishing
1. In a pot, bring milk, water, salt, sugar and butter to a strong boil.
2. Add in sifted dry ingredients to the pot, stir and cook till mixture comes together into a ball without clumps.
3. Remove the dough from the heat and add half your beaten egg mixture, slowly stirring with a spatula. Then, add the other half until the dough is glossy.
4. Pipe one-inch balls onto a sheet tray lined with baking paper.
5. Bake at 180ºC for 25 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, and cut horizontally in half.
7. Fill with your favourite ice cream, and serve in a champagne saucer or on a plate garnished with fresh berries.
To enjoy perfect profiteroles or other exquisite desserts, join us for a meal at The Knolls. Say ‘Hi’ to Pastry Chef Sam while you’re here! He helms Capella Singapore’s pastry team.