Summer vacations may be behind us, but weekends in September and October are one of my favorite times to experience the DC Metro area. So much, I have decided to plan a staycation here at Capella Washington, D.C. Georgetown! To do so, I’ve turned to my colleagues and D.C. natives for some of their most favorite activities and inspirations.
DC Staycation Tips:
Michael Katigbak, Capella D.C.’s Director of Sales & Marketing and his wife Courtney have lived in the city for many years, so I could not wait to hear their recommendations:
- Walk to the Key Bridge Boathouse in Georgetown to rent kayaks for a smooth drift down the Potomac River and down to Roosevelt Island, the best way to see how the river shapes its physical form and influences its wildlife.
- Head to the Georgetown’s infamous West End Cinema to watch some of the best international films with a beer or a glass of crisp wine (also, the popcorn is a must! It’s rated the best in D.C.!)
- Check out Union Market, located about 20 minutes from Capella on New York Avenue, but totally worth the trip! While you’re there, grab a bite to eat, like the lobster rolls and Korean empanadas
- Relax at Meridian Hill Park on a Sunday afternoon while enjoying a picnic by the well known drum circle, where DCists bring their favorite instrument to entertain passers by
Jason, one of Capella D.C.’s wonderful Sales Managers and his seven-year-old son Isaac love family activities. Some of their favorites include:
- Saturday afternoons at the National Building Museum, where children and adults can both learn about architecture, design and engineering. The museum also has specific programs for children with a staff member dedicated to curating these programs. There are also special exhibits throughout the year. See them by clicking here
- The Discovery Theater (part of Smithsonian), for a variety of exhibitions, collections and cultural experiences contained on the National Mall. This museum is great for children ages 2-16
- Following a fun day at the museums, check out Chef Geoff’s, where you will find a delicious menu for adults as well as kids just a short walk from the mall’s museums
- Last but not least, you must stop by Pinstripes in Georgetown for an afternoon of bowling and bocce ball over lunch or dinner right next door to Capella D.C.
National Building Museum
The opportunities and experiences are endless and I am so grateful to my team for giving me these wonderful suggestions! With my reservation on the books, I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I also cannot forget to mention how excited I am to swim in the rooftop heated infinity pool and sip a cocktail from the lounge! You can’t beat the feeling of exclusivity and outstanding views of our Nation’s Capital from the rooftop.
For more personalized recommendations and for information on planning your staycation experience be sure to contact one of our Personal Assistant’s at 202-617-2415 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.