Destination weddings are a trend that is growing in popularity. Often for couples who’s families live far apart, or those looking for a bit of adventure, a destination wedding is the ideal option. I’ve seen many such couples be joined in marriage here at Capella Ixtapa for these very reasons. After all, Ixtapa Zihuatanejo offers amazing beaches and surrounding islands, beautiful tropical landscapes, exquisite cuisine, friendly people, beach lifestyle, stunning sunsets and pristine Mexico ambiance—who wouldn’t want to get married here?!
For some planning a destination wedding can be a daunting task. So, I thought I would talk to Capella Ixtapa’s wedding consultant, José Brito, and get some insider tips on what you need to consider for planning the perfect event.
1. Define the wedding budget. This first step of your wedding planning will help you define which destination to pick, the number of guests, hotel and wedding venue.
2. Pick a destination with convenient travel connections. Since most of your guests will be traveling to the destination, pick a location which has easy and convenient travel connections. Ixtapa Zihuatanejo has many direct flights from Mexico, US and Canada, so it is very convenient to travel here. When planning a destination wedding contact your airline (or travel agent) and negotiate group rates.
3. Determine number of guests. Determining the guest list is crucial to understanding where and how your finances will be allocated.
4. Pick a destination and resort and that has something for everyone. It is important to remember that when you ask guests to travel for your wedding the location becomes a vacation destination for them as well. So be sure to pick a location that will suit your guests’ varied interests. In Ixtapa Zihuatanejo you can find something for everyone; for couples, small or multigenerational families, for nature and ocean lovers, for sports lovers and for those who are looking for some relaxing time. You can find anything from small luxury hotels, to hotels and resorts of a larger scale and even private accommodations.
5. Work with a local wedding consultant. A local wedding consultant will be able to help you navigate not only the legalities of getting married in your destination, but also will have relationships with local wedding vendors. A local consultant can also introduce you to romantic local customs or help you plan excursions for you and your guests.
6. Get there early. When planning a destination wedding, Jose recommends that the couple arrives to the location a few of days prior to the wedding, so you can review in person all the details with your wedding consultant, make final arrangements and get ready for your big day.
7. Enjoy your wedding. Jose explains, “Your destination wedding should be all about enjoying your most important day in a beautiful location with your closest group of family and friends,” don’t let the stress of planning it get in the way of enjoying it. After all, you’ve chosen to have a destination wedding for the experience, so make sure you experience it!
If you are interested in leaning more about a destination wedding at Capella Ixtapa please visit our website, or call us at: USA Toll Free: 1 (877) 296-8889, Canada Toll Free: 1 (855) 842-3399 or Mexico Toll Free: 01-800-838-6501.