While it is still winter for much of the Northern Hemisphere, spring has arrived in Cabo San Lucas! And, as with every season, Executive Chef Marco Bustamante has reimagined the menus of all the Capella Pedregal restaurants with fresh, seasonal ingredients. Marco’s (and my!) new favorite is the “Red Eye Ceviche” or “ Ojo Rojo.” This is a mixed seafood Ceviche made with local seafood in a red marinade.
If you are anything like me, you are already craving a bite! And as luck would have it, I have convinced him to share the recipe with us:
1 C. Tomato Juice
¼ C. Orange Juice
¼ C. Lime Juice
¼ C. Red Pepper Juice
2 oz. Clam Broth
1 oz. Tequila Reposado
2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
2 dashes Tabasco Sauce
1 ea. Jalapeño
12 ea. Mussels
2 oz. Lump Crab Meat
2 oz. Diced Tuna
2 oz. Calamari
2 oz. White Fish, Lime Cured
12 ea. Medium Shrimp, Peeled and deveined
1 ea. Tomato, Diced
½ ea. Yellow Onion
¼ Bunch Cilantro
½ ea. Avocado, Medium Dice
1 ea. Celery Stick
1 C. White Wine
- Begin by preparing the marinade. First mix all the liquid ingredients of the marinade and season with salt and pepper.
- Then add the whole Jalapeño to the marinade without cutting the Chile so that it is not too spicy.
- Reserve marinade in the refrigerator and keep cold until ready to serve.
- To prepare the seafood begin by placing a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Blanch the calamari and shrimp separately in the pot of water for 1-2 minutes until cooked. Once they are cooked put them directly into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- In a deep sauté pan, sauté half of the medium diced onion over high heat. Add the mussels and white wine. Cover with a lid and allow mixture to steam for 1-2 minutes. Once the mussels open, quickly remove them from the pot and cool them in the refrigerator.
- To cure the white fish, cover it in lime juice and allow to sit for 1 hour. This will “cook“ the fish for the ceviche.
- Once all of the seafood is prepared and cool, place all of it into a large bowl. then add the diced tomato, onion and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rim a chilled glass with salt and fill half way with the seafood. Top with the marinade and garnish with diced avocado and celery stick.
- Serve with your favorite chip or cracker!